The Orthopaedic Trauma Association is seeking candidates for the position of Editor-in-Chief of a new—as yet untitled—online living textbook.
OTA’s ambitious goal for this project is to commit fully to the capabilities of an online digital format not limited by the conventions of paper publishing. We intend that the new resource will make extensive use of multimedia, including video; bulleted “drill down” information display; and include the ability for regular review and updates. In short, we’d like to move past the expectations of conventional publishing and make full use of modern technology.
The position of Editor-in-Chief is a prestigious and honored role recognizing an individual’s proven abilities and his/her knowledge in the discipline of orthopaedics. It also carries with it great responsibility for fulfillment of an important part of the Society’s commitment to education and research advancement to its membership and the orthopaedic community.
- Provide a strong editorial vision representative of the goals of the OTA.
- Select and lead a team of expert authors whose knowledge base represents the topics covered in the textbook.
- Be responsible for the overall content of the textbook, maintaining high standards for clarity and authoritative, innovative, and top-quality content.
- Monitor and ensure the fairness, timeliness, thoroughness, and civility of the editorial process.
- In collaboration with the OTA, develop strategies to advance the presentation of high-quality content in an online format unbound by traditional publishing restrictions.
- Ensure proper manuscript flow to guarantee on-time publication, soliciting content as appropriate.
- Make final publishing decisions on submitted content.
- Maintain publishing standards and living textbook updates throughout the duration of your contact.
Candidates should be acknowledged as experts and thought leaders in orthopaedics and orthopaedic trauma with a broad background in basic science and clinical medicine. Candidates should possess strong leadership qualities, intellectual vision, organizational abilities, and experience relevant to editing a leading medical textbook. Candidates must possess excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills, and a wide network of professional contacts. The Editor-in-Chief will be supported by staff at OTA and additional consultants/contractors as required.
The new Editor-in-Chief will officially assume responsibility for textbook development upon hiring. The initial term is five (5) years, with the possibility of one five-year re-appointment.
Interested individuals should submit an application package that includes:
- A succinct letter of interest and qualifications
- A current curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for three references
- A vision statement of 750 words or less for the online living textbook
- Only complete application packages should be sent to: NAME EMAIL
- Please include “Textbook Application” in the subject line
- All applications must be received by Aug. 24, 2022
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. All application materials will be kept strictly confidential. No phone calls please.
Only complete application packages should be sent to Peter Pollack at OTA.